POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Questionable Content on the Newsgroups : Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:19:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 8 Apr 2004 00:29:29
Message: <MPG.1ade82a874f92d68989a19@news.povray.org>
In article <4074c699$1@news.povray.org>, r.b### [at] sbcglobalnet says...
> I'm not responding to any one or any one particular point here.  It's
> already been covered that not everyone is the same religion.

I wasn't talking about religion in general. A lot of countries with what
should have the same 'basic' religion have completely different views on
this very subject. There was even a study published in Scientific
American that stated that as a general rule, Americans collectively are
actually more restrictive and obsessive about nudity and the like than
the majority of Catholics. We ranked on the scale between strict
moralistic views and relaxed ones under middle eastern countries. While
the gap between the most extreme of them and the most extreme people in
the US was fairly wide, there was also what I personally consider to be a
very uncomfortable overlap, given the sort of insane stuff some groups in
the middle east believe.

No telling how accurate the study is, but almost no one would argue that
there hasn't been a general perceived trend towards moralizing in the
last 10+ years here. It doesn't matter what source the proclamations of
morality come from. Differences exist, even often travelling a few
thousand miles to a different state, where just trying to by a sex toy
can get both you and the person selling it thrown in jail, never mind the
fact that only maybe 2 or 3 out of the 50 states have such laws. Religion
just happens to be the most common excuse for this sort of nonsense.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else